Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Mother's Mother's Day



As I sit here trying to start a sentence that describes my Mom it is impossible for me to think of a word, words, or sentence that pinpoints exactly what she means to me or what she embodies to those around her.  One of the best quotes from Elizabeth Stone about having kids is, “Choosing to have a child-it’s momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”  To me, my Ma is strength, beauty-both in and out, integrity, peace, and above all else and many more things, Love.  My Mother has taught me to thrive in independence, to know that I am beautiful no matter what the world says, and shows grace everyday that I hope one day I can pass on to my kids and future family.  This beautiful lady, my Mother is my one of a kind Mom. 

Since my mom is so far away and I can’t celebrate with her (she is spending the weekend with equally amazing women, my grandma, aunts and cousin) I decided to make her most favorite thing!  I asked what her most favorite thing to eat was and I should have known it would have been something sweet.  Since she gave me the creative license to go in any direction I wanted I decided to make a pie that she made and I absolutely love!  Though I’ve added new components to the pie to make it extra special and new.  Instead of the chocolate cookie crust I crumbled up stroop waffles and lined the bottom of the pan.  Stoop waffles is two thin wafers with a caramel filling between the two.  Upon serving I plan to whip strawberries within the whip cream to add a fruity overtone.     
 
I love you Mom, I hope you enjoy!



Chocolate Truffle Pie

By:  Unknown



2 cups (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
1/4 cup confectioners; sugar (powdered sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 chocolate cookie crust (8-9 inches)
Whipping cream and chocolate covered candies optional

Ina microwave safe dish, combine the chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of cream; cook on high for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Stir in sugar and vanilla, set aside. In a small mixing bowl, beat remaining cream until soft peaks form. Beat in chocolate mixture on high, one-third at a time; mix well. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with shipped cream and candies if desired. They put the whip cream in little dollops around the perimeter of the pie so each serving had a little dollop and a candy on top. I don't usually do this. 




1 comment:

  1. I agree! Your mom is a beautiful woman, inside and out! I love her!

    ReplyDelete