Friday, August 9, 2013

Sausage, Peppers and Pasta


This dish is inspired by my friend Dan.  I went to visit him back in the day (long ago in a galaxy far far away and a time in my life when I still had A LOT of learning to do…) and he made this for me while I was there.  It surprised me because at the time he didn’t strike me as much of a cook (sorry Dan…), but it was pretty dang good!  Fast forward a few years and I thought it would be a perfect addition to my blog.  I had never made it before and further more I didn’t have all the ingredients so I had to improvise and make it my own, both of which are reasons for this blog. 

The original recipe used real sausage, canned and seasoned tomato sauce, and no basil leaves.  With the addition of the wine and the basil along with the homemade tomato sauce I found it added a deeper more whole flavor to the dish, not to mention a healthier option.  An added plus to this dish, it makes a ton of food and it is filling.  I ate on it for four days after I made it, which make it an A+ in my book.    

Enjoy!   


Sausage, Peppers and Pasta 

By: Dan Higgins adapted by Ann Marie Ely


Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic diced.
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 small red onion
1 cup of small cherry tomatoes
6 Basil Leaves
3 servings worth of pasta of your choice (note: spaghetti like pasta would not work well here)
3 links of chicken sausage (I used Spicy Jalapeno, but any kind would work)
½ C. tomato sauce
¼ C. tomato paste
2 tblsp Pino Grigio wine
Cumin/Oregano/Pepper/Salt to taste
Parmesan cheese (if desired)


Directions: 
Cut peppers and onions into large bites, roughly ¼ inch X ¼ inch squares and sliced the tomatoes in half.  Dice basil and add to vegetable mixture.  Cut the sausages into coin-sized slices and them split them half ways for more manageable bites. 

Combine the tomato sauce and tomato paste with the white wine and stir until well mixed.  Add cumin, oregano, pepper, and salt to taste or experiment with whatever spices you have a taste for. 

Set water to boil for pasta while the garlic simmers in olive oil in a large sauté pan.  Once garlic is browned add sausage and allow for all slices to get a golden crispy texture.  Next add the vegetables to the mix, shortly followed by the drained pasta.  Then pour the tomato sauce over the mixture combining until mixed through the dish.  Serve and top with parmesan cheese if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment